Monday, March 16, 2015

helmet

This is my try for a contest on James Gurney´s blog. The idea was to combine a drawing with something from the real world, to create the illusion both are one. The important rule was to capture it in camera.

Hier ist mein Beitrag für einen Wettbewerb auf dem Blog von James Gurney. Die Idee war, eine eigene Zeichnung so mit etwas aus der realen Welt zu kombinieren, daß aus beidem eine Einheit wird. Es durfte jedoch nur mit der Kamera eingefangen werden.

The building you see in the background used to be a cinema when I was a kid. Recently I rediscovered my interest in the unique roof of the entrance. It always reminded me of a helmet. So the contest came in handy to make something out of it. When I drew one of my last thumbnails I somehow had Edvard Munch´s "the scream" in mind.

Das Gebäude im Hintergrund war mal ein Kino, in das ich als Kind des öfteren ging. Letztens ist mir wieder das sehr außergewöhnliche Dach des Eingangs aufgefallen. Es hat mich eigentlich schon immer an einen Helm erinnert. Auf der Suche nach einer Idee, kam mir das natürlich sehr gelegen. Bei einer der letzten Skizzen, kam mir "Der Schrei" von Edvard Munch in den Sinn.

2 comments :

Tobias Gembalski said...

Here the link for the semifinalist voting:
http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.de/2015/03/interactive-sketchbook-results.html

Tobias Gembalski said...

Just found an excerpt about Munch´s "Scream" published by MOMA, New York:
http://www.moma.org/momaorg/shared/pdfs/docs/publication_pdf/3171/MunchScream_PREVIEW.pdf